Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Has anyone tried expired K40?

  1. #1
    Levi
    Guest Levi's Avatar

    Post

    I have some K40 from 1975 that has not been refridgerated. How will it turn out when I get it processed?

    Thanks,
    Levi

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by Levi (edited October 06, 2001).]

  2. #2
    Frameline
    Guest Frameline's Avatar

    Red face

    Twenty six year old K40-wow! Well,if it has not irreversibly 'formed' itself in the cartridge due to varying ambient temperatures etc. it just may be O.K. However,and this is a biggy:by now the film speed will have reduced somewhat and the colour dyes may well have become unstable.Finally,I'm uncertain on this one-Kodak might also have altered their processing slightly during the intervening period,this is what happened when the old K25 was phased out on Standard8.However,under certain circumstances B&W developing was possible on the old emulsion.
    Very much a 'grey' area this one.
    Best of luck.
    Old Uncle Barry
    UK

    ------------------

  3. #3
    gldn51
    Guest gldn51's Avatar

    Post

    I recentlty found some K40 at a garage sale that was dated 1978. The result was color that looked washed out but interesting. A very slight magenta cast and almost, at times looked like I had used a diffusing filter. Film looked old as there were some scratches and lines. I wish I had more of it.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Scott Spears
    Guest Scott Spears's Avatar

    Post

    <<I recentlty found some K40 at a garage sale that was dated 1978. The result was color that looked washed out but interesting. A very slight magenta cast and almost, at times looked like I had used a diffusing filter. Film looked old as there were some scratches and lines. I wish I had more of it.>>

    I know how you can get some more. But some new film and store it in your garage for 23 years. Then shoot away.

    Scott

    P.S. Sorry I couldn't resist.

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Mikko
    Guest Mikko's Avatar

    Post

    What if I keep the film in very warm place for few days? What happends to the colors?

    M

    ------------------

  6. #6
    miguelito
    Guest miguelito's Avatar

    Post

    I had a few rolls of expired kodachrome.
    They had expired in June of 1994 and I shot
    them last summer in 2000. I noticed while
    shooting the first of the expired rolls
    that the film had a slight green cast to it.
    For the rest of the rolls I used a Tiffen 812 warming filter and it
    took care of the green cast enough so the
    film looked "normal". Not bad for 6 year
    old expired film.


    Miguelito (michael)

    ------------------

  7. #7
    Nigel
    Guest Nigel's Avatar

    Post

    I have bought out-of-date film because I like the way it looks at times. My results have always seemed to have a redish hue to the film that I think looks great. Good Luck

    ------------------

  8. #8
    wyatt
    Guest wyatt's Avatar

    Post

    I just shot a 5+ old roll of K40 and I swear it looked almost brand new. The subject was an American flag and the blues and reds were near perfect! I think it depends on how it was stored. I believe this roll was frozen. Sorry I can't be more accurate but I have over 100 rolls that I have purchased from many sources. Even if in the freezer you still are rolling the dice in my opinion! Good luck. Wyatt

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •